Monday, August 4, 2008

Cinema and 7th Lunar Month - What in common?

The Chinese 7th lunar month started on 1st of August this year, 2008. It is also the widely known as Hungry Ghost month, as far as Chinese with Taoism faith concerns. It is believe that the stroke of midnight, the hell gate will be open, and all homeless roaming souls will be out to look for food, money or clothing. Therefore, Chinese will pray at the roadside, outside their houses for household safety and etc.

Why roadside, one may ask. This is because when there are people died in accident and their souls will return to the spot, unable to leave this spot until there is a 'replacement'. That is why usually praying spot will be at roadside and junction. Chinese Hokkien will usually pray 3 times, the first day, the 15th and the last day of the 7th lunar month. For Cantonese Chinese, they will usually pray on the 14th of the 7th lunar month only. During the celebration or festive period, large tents will be setup with big King of Hades effigy errected to govern and control the roaming souls. Chinese opera, movies or singing will be held on stage for the underworld entertainment.

A couple of days ago, I went to Prangin Mall Cathay Cineplex to watch The Mummy Return 3. I was told that the movie was fully booked at the ticketing counter, but i noticed there was 4 seats highlighted in yellow. When I asked the ticketing personel, she told me that those are reserved seats. Wanting to watch movie, I told her that I can wait for the release of the seats in case the person who booked this seats did not turn up. She told me that it was reserved by the cinema, not the customer.

I smiled at her, asking her is it due to the 7th lunar month and the seats were reserved for "special guest"? She nodded with a smile. I proceed to check on another movie and finally decided to watch another movie. I glance at her booking screen, I noticed there was same reserved seats too, I asked her again, and she replied that all the cinema auditoriums have reserved seats during this time frame. Hm... interesting I thought.

No comments: